Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Day Two



This is mom in the back of a Korean ambulance.  In order to take this picture, I had to be in the back of a Korean ambulance as well.  This took us to Leaders, an imagining center, about an hour away.  There they did a CT and PET scan which took a very long time.  After that, we survived another taxi trip (at 17,500 won) and went back to the clinic where mom received a round of stem cells and a round  of protein (via drip).  They say I am a perfect match and can give her stem cells... which I am so very happy to do and would give so much more if I could.  It doesn't make me any less old but at least the stem cells are healthy enough.  We spent time with another of Dr. Moon's patients and her family.  They are from Oklahoma and are the kindest and most thoughtful group of folks that I have met in a long, long time.  So, we finally got to eat and decided to immerse ourselves in the Korean culture and went to Outback Steakhouse.  I can tell you that, yes, the Korean people are incredibly sweet and kind.  I can also tell you that you should not expect to hear "excuse me" if you are accidentally shoved, bumped into, cut in front of or otherwise made to shift out of your general direction of travel.  Tomorrow we talk to Dr. Moon, after he's had a chance to look at the scan films from today and begin stem cell harvesting.  Mom is practically a pin-cushion at this point and it's only the beginning...